This project is read-only.

Please consider moving this project to GitHub

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Hi,

Codeplex is not great when it comes to interaction between the administrators of a project and the community.

Furthermore, it is not possible to cross reference issues affecting TypeScript and other projects on GitHub that affect NTVS.

I am getting increasingly worried about the lack of feedback to comments and discussion items on NTVS.

Is this project going to be maintained going forward? Why has there been no release for VS 2015 yet?

Thanks.
Feb 5, 2015 at 3:14 AM
Edited Feb 5, 2015 at 3:17 AM
Hi nabog,

Re: github vs. codeplex - totally agreed! We'll consider it once we ship 1.0. But for now, we're a small team, and we need to prioritize :-). Moving to github means we have to find suitable replacements for or build new processes around:
  • discussions
  • issue tracking
  • documentation
  • releases
  • reviews
Ideas, of course, are very much welcome. Do you know of any projects that do a particularly good job with these aspects?

Re: slow responses. Nostra culpa, nos paenitet - our fault, we're sorry - thanks for calling us out on that :-). We hope to get back into our groove soon, but for now we're a bit spread thin as we work on testing and stabilizing the 1.0 release, figuring out a plan for the next release (we recently conducted a survey here), working with internal folks interested in Node.js/npm, as well as promoting NTVS in some presentations/demos. Once again, though, thanks for voicing your concern - we'll try to amp up the communication.

Re: VS2015 - we've been focusing on providing a stable 1.0 release (which will not support VS 2015), so VS 2015 bugs have been deprioritized for the time being. That said, that's no excuse for not putting up a recent dev build, so we'll try to put one up by the end of the week - just know that many of these the VS 2015 specific issues haven't been fixed yet. In the meantime, feel free to dive into the source code - we <3 pull requests

Anyways, seriously - thanks again for the helpful feedback - we really appreciate it.
Marked as answer by nabog on 2/5/2015 at 3:14 AM
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM
Nice to read this feedback re. the state of the project.

I'm just getting started with MEAN stack on Windows (after years with C# and ASP.NET MVC), and have spent some time checking out different tools (Sublime, Atom.io, WebStorm, NTVS, etc.) and I have to say that, despite the fact that it's not a finished item, and you're a small team, etc., NTVS + VS2013 is the best choice out there atm (for me, anyway). What it does is very impressive.

Would love to see this project go to 100% completion soon, with all the usual Microsoft polish and attention to detail. I think that a move to GitHub would really help. I've always found CodePlex an uninspiring place to visit.
Feb 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM
@mousetraps, I'm really glad to hear the reassurances - so thanks for that!

Moving to github means we have to find suitable replacements for or build new processes

GitHub does all that out of the box - and does a much better job of it:
  • discussions - Create a "Discussion" label.
  • issue tracking - Issues provide much richer functionality, including managing task lists, inline images with just copy and paste, autocomplete for cross referencing, @ referencing anyone else on GitHub... there are plenty more.
  • documentation - There is a built in wiki.
  • releases - Release can be made with attached binaries.
  • reviews - I don't think this is possible, but generally you will get much better community engagement on GitHub.
`
Do you know of any projects that do a particularly good job with these aspects

You should really speak to the TypeScript team. They were formally on CodePlex before moving to GitHub. Microsoft already have a bunch of open source projects on GitHub and you certainly belong there.
Feb 6, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Thanks nabog! We actually didn't realize GitHub had inline images in issues or binary releases, which was one of our sticking points. This inspired me to go back and research other "sticking points" (e.g. download counts on releases - GitHub exposes an API, other attachments - we can use gists) that might be out of date.

So it looks like we have suitable replacements for everything we have in Codeplex, and all that remains is to actually do the work to migrate everything over (porting issues, changing the documentation format/process to be compatible with GitHub, changing our internal rolling build process, etc.)

For reviews, we might be able to plug into the VS extension gallery. I agree they're not a huge deal, but nice to have. We mainly use them for:
  • engaging with users who don't have a specific issue to report, but just had a generally poor experience
  • providing assurance to new users about the viability of NTVS (assuming good reviews, of course)
  • getting an "emotional pulse" of a release - it's obviously not a hard science, but I find that reviews typically represent a user's gut feelings about the entire experience, whereas issues represent a segment of the experience.
And yes, we have been chatting with TypeScript about this - they've offered to help us with some scripts they created for the migration... how much of it will be relevant, we're not yet certain. Either way, there are many things we'll still need to do ourselves (e.g. porting issues (most annoying) - TypeScript did not do this with their migration. They also have a landing site typescriptlang.org, and we'll probably need something similar - github pages should be sufficient, internal rolling build process...)
Feb 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM
Hi, mousetraps,

I see what you mean about the release reviews. In addition to the VS extension gallery, why not set up a blog on MSDN? The TS team accompany each release with a blog post and they seem to be effective in obtaining feedback. The 1.4 release garnered 38 comments for example.

there are many things we'll still need to do ourselves (e.g. porting issues (most annoying) - TypeScript did not do this with their migration

Actually TS did port all their issues. They simply closed the issue on Codeplex and copied it over to GitHub - with modifications if necessary. Here's an example for the "Abstract Classes" issue:
`
I'm happy to help with copying over issues one weekend!
Feb 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM
As for msdn, we can usually get a post on the visual studio blog whenever we release which brings some traffic.

Hmm... I saw several TS issues that weren't ported over (either that or I'm bad at searching), so from that and their "closed" text, it appears they didn't actually migrate all the issues and relied on whoever was following that issue to do it for them.

Thanks for the offer, we'll update you when we plan on migrating!

Also a quick update on the dev build. We were supposed to upload the build Friday, but we're having issues signing the 2015 binaries for some reason which we'lre trying to resolve.
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Build issues fixed and new dev builds are up!