Is the Intellisense memory leak fixed for very large node projects?

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I submitted a defect a while back about this and was just wondering if this has been addressed in beta 3? We use about 50 modules, and we have a significantly deep hierarchy of javascript source files. I suppose I can try it and see for myself, but the problem is that the last time I used the template, setup time was fairly long due to the way "use existing code" project template worked. I couldn't get this to work given the directory structure of our app, and I had to create a console project instead and remove, add, and tweak files to get it working.
Nov 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Also, I don't know how widely popular Express is for node development these days. Seems to be dying out a bit in favor of other modules, but I could be wrong. It would be nice to see a bit more focus on project template types like "clean" template and a bit more flexibility with "existing code" template.
Nov 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Hmm, looks my original issue has been resolved. (1248) I'll have to check and see if it's fixed.
Nov 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Ok, just tested the latest beta 3. It seems a bit better with Intellisense turned on, but still a little painful (performance wise) to use in development. There's still a bit of lag when navigating files and folders and I'm used to pretty fast response with standard asp.net projects. Seems like the caching is a bit better as you navigate. After visiting a folder and reading in files the first time, it gets a bit faster.

I like the improvements and appreciate all the hard work, but I don't think I'll use it until the performance is tweaked a bit more.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Thank you for trying out Beta 3 and providing feedback. We will continue to look into performance. I've gone ahead and made this discussion an issue. If you have details about your project you can share it would be helpful. Additionally if you can share specific actions in Solution Explorer that you notice sluggishness the most. (lots of files, deep folders, npm, etc...)
Marked as answer by RickWinter on 11/13/2014 at 4:04 PM
Nov 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Hi, it will be tough for me to provide detailed info about my project because of company confidentiality, otherwise I would take a screenshot of the whole file structure in Solution Explorer. I can say that the deepest folder structure we have is 5 levels, but overall, we don't have a lot of lines of code. The folder structure is just for organization. I also don't include unnecessary folders like node_modules. We use react.js, so we do have files with extesion .jsx, but everything else is either .js or .json. We have 20 dev level node modules, 3 global node modules, and 23 app level node modules.

Most noticeable lag is when the project loads in the Solution Explorer (can take up to 20 seconds), expanding folders in Solution Explorer (no response when clicked, and then after 5 seconds or so, the folder expands (this varies depending on how deep the folder structure is under the clicked folder)), clicking on a file to view in the text editor takes a bit to load (a few seconds). Most of this is tolerable, it's just that I'm used to faster response when working with .net/c# projects. You guys are definitely making progress!