Integrate build tasks into MsBuild

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Hello,
I'm the author of this littleproject
I'd like to work with you, if you want, to integrate this into your toolings.

V.Chianese
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Nobody cares? Feedback? Ideas?
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Can you tell more about how you envision the integration, ideally?

Right now, for the basic scenario that is outlined in your docs, NTVS is broken because our project system doesn't support NuGet (or rather, NuGet doesn't support us), so one has to manually install the bits, import .targets into .njsproj etc. Of course, if we can include and ship these bits with the product, we can just add them directly to our project templates and deploy the .targets file into the NTVS MSBuild folder.
Jul 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Hello and thank you for the reply.
I'm not a Visual Studio extensions expert, however if target injection cannot work in your project type, the second way looks like very good. We may get the code as a git submodule and work on its integration.
I am available to make any modification on my side to make it work and help you in your code as well.
We may then switch to nuget package installation when nuget support will be complete.

What do you think about?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM
NuGet support in NTVS looks unlikely. Please do not make any plans that depend on it.
https://nuget.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/huguesv/PythonNodejs/contribution/6839
Aug 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Ok, first option discarded.
What about the second one (git submodule)?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM
I actually think that we should revisit NuGet. When we last tried it, we didn't have any definitive scenario for it that wouldn't be covered by any other system. Now we have one. MSBuild tasks and such (which requires target injection into the project) is NuGet-specific, and, on the other hand, applicable to any MSBuild project. I think that is a valid case to argue now.

If we can do that, then there's less hassle overall, because there's no need to maintain two different methods, or fork and maintain (and regularly pull) code etc.
Aug 9, 2014 at 7:33 AM
I see.
The decision about how integrate it's up to you.
Please tell me how can I help you!