Need option to show output window when 'Update npm Modules'


In Python we made this type of functionality an option (see screenshot). Right now when you do an update modules the output window doesn't open if it's already closed. So it will appear to do nothing.


file attachments

Closed Mar 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM by huguesv


BartRead wrote Nov 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Query: I assume this is just for commands executed from the hierarchy context menu, not from the package management dialog?

huguesv wrote Nov 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I didn't think about that. My guess is that we would want to open the output window (if the option is on) so that they can see the results when they dismiss the npm dialog.

BartRead wrote Nov 24, 2013 at 2:42 AM

That's cool - we can definitely do that.

BartRead wrote Nov 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

This is now fixed for items executed from hierarchy context menus in commit 5ddfbe073f61 at https://nodejstools.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/BartRead/rgnpm01/changeset/5ddfbe073f61e28c60dab39fccc41bf0307d892a.

BartRead wrote Dec 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

In commit c71bac32c56c (https://nodejstools.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/BartRead/rgnpm01/changeset/c71bac32c56cda92f8ad061a3c54206555729bab) I also update the status bar text so that, even if the user has hidden the Output window, they will be able to see that something is happening when they execute npm.

There is one outstanding issue. Obviously errors sometimes occur when installing npm modules - for example, try installing "birdeater". The question is what to do if the user has unchecked "Show Output window when executing npm".

There are a couple of options that occur to me immediately, though there may also be others:

(1) In the event of an error show the Output window regardless of what the user has chosen in Tools > Options > Node.js Tools.
(2) Don't show the output window if it's hidden but, instead, display a message along the lines of "npm completed with errors - see Output window (View > Output on menu) for details".

I'm discussing this with the other devs. Once we've decided what to do I'll commit a fix and mark this as resolved.

BartRead wrote Dec 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Discussed with dinov and we've decided to go with option (2) above.

BartRead wrote Dec 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM