update - we highly recommend using this devbuild which has numerous fixes in it instead:
Please see important note regarding memory usage/crashes below
NTVS 1.0 Beta release notes Apr 04 2014
Node.js Tools for Visual Studio is a plug-in (Apache 2.0) that turns VS into a node.js development environment.
NTVS is available for:
- Visual Studio 2013 Express for Web -- New for Beta
- Visual Studio 2013 Pro or higher
- Visual Studio 2012 Pro or higher
NTVS supports the following:
- node projects
- Debugging (local & remote with support for Linux and MacOS)
- Edit and Continue -- New for Beta
- node REPL with multi-line editing
- Integrated npm GUI -- Redesigned for Beta
- TypeScript (IntelliSense, Debugging, Profiling, Unit Test) -- New for Beta
- Jade syntax highlighting -- New for Beta
- Test Explorer integration -- New for Beta
- Azure Web Sites
- Azure Web Sites Remote Debugging -- New for Beta
- Azure Cloud Service - Web Role
- Azure Cloud Service - Worker Role -- New for Beta
- Git publishing
New Demo Videos:
Known Beta limitations:
- IntelliSense uses large amounts of memory on medium/large projects which can result in crashes and instability - you can turn off completions in Tools/Options/Text Editor/Node.js/Statement completion/Auto list members to avoid this (recommended). We are working on a fix. Sorry about this.
- IntelliSense fails on large projects (JS lang service timeout issue)
- Interactive Window (REPL): No IntelliSense
- Max Path issues - Place projects in a short path such as c:\code, not the default VS Projects location
- Azure Web Site Remote Debugging - Server Explorer command is not available unless VS 2013 Update 2 RC or later is installed.
- Debug -> Attach to Process is not available on Visual Studio Express for Web. This means that regular remote debugging is not available on Express for Web at all, and Azure remote debugging is available for NTVS only with Update 2 RC or later.
- npm package manager dialog may leave a modal operation running after the dialog is closed. When this happens you'll experience strange keyboard behavior and a prompt when trying to close VS.
- npm global modules item in solution explorer is not functional, it will not list any of the global modules. However, you can use the package manager dialog to install modules globally.
For a more detailed list, please see the Issues tab.
NTVS was developed by the same team that brought you PTVS http://pytools.codeplex.com
and a few friends - namely Bart Read from red-gate (npm GUI), and Dmitry Tretyakov from Clickberry for several debugger fixes & features. We'd like to thank everyone who helped test the pre-Alpha version as well.