How to build and debug the Node.js tool

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Hi, is there any documentation on how to build/debug the node.js tool?

Also what version of visual studio do I need to build it? I downloaded the source code but some project file are not compatible with Visual Studio 2013 community edition (the Nodejs.csproj is one of them)
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:29 PM
Hi IssamK, VS 2013 community should be fine. You'll also need to download the Visual Studio SDK.
Instructions for building and also a link to the sdk are here. http://nodejstools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Build%20Instructions%20for%20NTVS

I also realized after a quick glance through that we did not include documentation for building the installer. I've opened an issue tracking it here, but for now you can check out the related steps at our sister project, PTVS: http://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Build%20Instructions%20for%20PTVS#building-the-installer
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:48 PM
Edited Jan 2, 2015 at 7:50 PM
Oops, I missed it :)

I am able to build but when I try to debug I am getting an error about not being able to load the symbol for Microsoft.NodejsTools.InteractiveWindow.dll. Looking at it it's trying to find the .pdb at "C:\DevDiv\xTVS\Nodejs_Main\BuildOutput\Release12.0\obj\InteractiveWindow\Microsoft.NodejsTools.InteractiveWindow.pdb". I am not sure why it's looking there. I tried telling it to look for symbols in my local build (tools->options->debugging->symbol) but it does not work : "PDB does not match image". Not sure where it's getting the .dll from.

Any idea? The same problems happens with the NodejsTools.dll
Jan 3, 2015 at 2:16 AM
Ok it seems I needed to uninstall the NodeJs version I had first before building and debugging. I assumed I could build and debug a separate version but that does not seems possible. In all case, I was able to debug it. Thanks for replying quickly today!
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM
Glad it's working for you now. FYI if you install NTVS as the current user (rather than for all users,) you should be able to build and debug a separate version.
msiexec /i NodejsToolsInstaller.msi ALLUSERS=""