Not using analysis but massive .ntvs_analysis.dat

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Hi,

I've turned off JavaScript intellisense by setting "IntelliSense Level" to "No Intellisense" (under Tools > Options > Text Editor > Node.js). I'm using TypeScript and don't really need to have it on.

I have a number of NTVS projects. In each of their project folders I'm finding a file named ".ntvs_analysis.dat" of various sizes. Most of them are around the 800 KB mark, there is one around 8 MB and another of 65 MB!

The question is: why are these files being generated when I have analysis turned off?

I am also concerned about the unnecessary resources being used by NTVS. I am already having a number of scalability problems with TypeScript and the last thing I would want is for NTVS to write a 65 MB file, which in my case is totally unwanted.

Please help!

System Info:

Visual Studio: 2013 Ultimate Update 3 RC.
NTVS: 1.0 Beta 2 (22-July)
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM
nabog, analysis starts as On by default, so you get the .dat file. you can safely delete it. we'll modify the behavior for next beta to give you better control. meanwhile, you can safely delete the .dat files.
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2014 at 8:20 PM
@nabog, Thank you for using NTVS and your continued contributions to make it better. As Ptools stated the .dat file is generated when analysis is on. On is the default so you'll see a .dat file in most projects. Unless you've changed the default you will see a .dat file generated for each project. Its safe to delete the file however we will write it again as we detect changes in analysis. You can change this behavior by turning off analysis, tools->options->Text Editor->Node.js->IntelliSense. Setting the value to Off will stop analysis and in turn prevent us from writing the .dat file.
In the next release we are working to address the size of these files and provide mechanisms to disable saving them. The issue is tracked in, https://nodejstools.codeplex.com/workitem/1303
Marked as answer by RickWinter on 7/23/2014 at 1:18 PM